Tuesday 22 December 2009

First Day of Filming

On the 14th December we began our first day of filming for our film opening. Prior to this lesson we decided that we would begin filming scenes that are on the school grounds first, as they are more accessible and would be easier to film. For this project I have taken on the role of director. I felt that I would be good in this role because I can naturally take on the leadership role in my group when I need to. Also, because I wrote the plot and the storyboards for the opening, I wanted to have a greater control on how the scenes looked and how in line they were with my initial vision for how I intended for them to look while I was writing them, rather than actually being in the opening myself.

The first scene we decided to film was the scene where the main characters are running away from the murder that they came across while filming a documentary at the graveyard in St Giles Church. Once we found a good corridor where we were less likely going to be distracted, we started thinking about what we were actually going to do in this scene. After thinking about it, we decided that we would do a continuity shot, where the characters would run through the corridor and then we would record them running through the door of corridor and then turning around the corner. Then the next shot we would record would be of the characters running round the corner again then running through another set of doors which would lead to another set of locked doors that would take them outside. We did a few practises of both shots first, in order to see if they would look right and so the people in my group who were acting in the opening knew what they were doing so there would less likely be any mistakes when we actually begin recording. Overall the final recordings that we came out with looked very effective. However I felt that because of the lack of focus of some in the group, these scenes which are fairly simple took much longer to do than needed and we could've got much more done in the time that we had.

No comments: